Potato and cheese version:
- 4-5 medium white potatoes, cooked,peeled and mashed
- 1/4 lb asiago cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups farmer cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 pound butter, melted
- 1/2 pound Butter
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry or 10 oz fresh chopped fine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground or freshly grated
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled into tiny bits
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons ricotta cheese or cream cheese
Preheat and prepare. Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter 2 baking sheets.
Prep the filling. Combine the potatoes, cheeses, and eggs, mixing well.
Fill and roll. Stack the filo dough as you roll it. Cover the rolled out filo with a dry towel and then a lightly dampened one. Take one sheet at a time. Place it vertically in front of you and cut it in half lengthwise. Brush each strip sparingly with the melted butter. Fold the strip in half again lengthwise, and brush the surface with butter. Place 1/2 teaspoon of the filling in the center bottom of the strip. Fold the strip from the right corner to the left side to form a right triangle, and continue folding from corner to side working your way up the strip until you get to the top. Place the triangle seam side down on the sheet. Repeat with remaining filo and filling until both are used up.
Bake. Bake in a medium-hot oven for 15 minutes or until golden.
Note: Once filled, the triangles may be wrapped tightly in plastic and frozen. Bake directly from freezer.
For the spinach version, use a food processor to combine garlic, spinach, salt and pepper, nutmeg, feta, egg, and ricotta cheese. Follow directions above to roll out filo dough, filling with spinach mixture instead of potato and cheese filling.