Makes 2 loaves
In Pennsylvania, the Amish and Mennonite communities are famous for their pillowy, sweet sandwich bread. This loaf, which has been adapted from a local Amish friend’s recipe, is perfect for taking on long hikes through the woods, or for piling high with deli-thin lunch meat and cheese. This recipe was updated from the Better Batter Website.
1 ½ cups whole milk or milk substitute (I like to use with something with high protein like hempseed milk)
1 ½ cups club soda
¼ cup oil
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
½ cup honey
2 packets active dry yeast
6 cups (about 24oz – 1.5lb – or 680g) Better Batter Gluten Free Flour
1 ½ cups starch tapioca or Arrowroot
1 Tbsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp salt
1. In the bowl of kitchen aid mixer combine the milk, club soda, oil, apple cider vinegar, and honey. Stir and add the two packets of yeast. Stir again and let mixture sit for 5 minutes.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine the Better Batter flour, starch, baking powder, baking soda and salt and whisk together.
3. Once the wet mixture is ready, add the flour mixture to the yeast mixture. Using the paddle attachment of the mixer, start on low speed and mix for about 1 minute. Once mixture is combined, increase to high speed for about 4 to 5 minutes.
4. While bread is mixing, prepare loaf pans with cooking spray or shortening.
5. Once batter is mixed, divide mixture evenly w/rubber spatula. Have a large bowl of warm water to use for shaping loaves w/wet hands. Make channels around loaves (you want to form a dome; using wet hands. Once loaves are ready to be proofed you want to make slashers on top of the each loaf.
6. Proof bread about 45-70 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°F oven. Have a large cup of ice cubes. Place the 2 loaves of bread in the middle of oven & throw ice cubes onto oven & shut oven door immediately. Bake bread about 45-60 minutes
7. Check breads after 1 hour. Bread is done when temp reads about 210°F. When breads are out of oven, take them out of pans & cool them on their side about 1 hour. Then cool on their other side about 4 hours.
9.Let cool completely before slicing or serving.