3 (¼ ounce) packages of yeast
1 ½ cups club soda
1 ½ cups nondairy milk ( coconut, etc., scalded, then cooled)
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs (or ½ cup chia gel as egg substitute)
1⁄2 cup shortening
5 ½ cups Better Batter Gluten Free Flour
1 ½ cups tapioca starch or cornstarch
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Canola oil for frying doughnuts
Awesome Glaze Ingredients
1⁄3 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
4 – 6 tablespoons hot water
• Place all ingredients into the bowl of a kitchen aid mixer with a paddle attachment and beat on high speed for about 4 minutes. Dough will have the consistency of drop biscuit dough or chocolate chip cookie dough without the chocolate chips.
• Turn dough onto floured surface or a dough roiling matt or pasty mat; roll around lightly to coat with flour.
• Gently roll dough to about ½ and inch thick with a floured rolling pin.
• Cut with floured doughnut cutter.
• Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 – 30 minutes. I like to sprinkle down a little bit a flour onto the cookie sheet so the doughnuts don’t stick.
• Heat oil in deep fryer to 350°F.
• While the oil is heating you can make the glaze. Heat butter until melted.
• Remove from heat.
• Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
• Stir in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency.
• Now you can start cooking the doughnuts!
• Slide doughnuts into hot oil with wide spatula.
• Turn doughnuts as they rise to the surface.
• Fry until golden brown, about 1 minute on each side. Don’t burn!
• Remove carefully from oil (do not prick surface); drain off excess oil.
• Let the doughnuts cool just a bit. Dip the doughnuts into glaze and set on rack and enjoy. Oh sooooo good!