This week’s “Pinspired” recipe is vanilla poke cake with strawberries. After last week’s Death by Chocolate Poke Cake, I went in search of a vanilla poke cake. Although Pinterest is flooded with many poke cake recipes, I didn’t find one that fit my brilliant brainstorm (at least in my mind it was brilliant!) … so I did what all creative home cooks do … I made up my own recipe! A sample list of poke cake recipes can be found on Pinterest. I admit that my pictures this aren’t quite as pretty as some other poke cake pictures, but let me tell you, it is one delicious cake! My husband, who doesn’t like fruit pieces in his cake, is still eating leftover cake. (I think some of the other poke cake pictures were taken after the cake was frozen. Since when does pudding hold it’s shape?) I hope you and your family enjoy this cake as much as we have!
For the cake:
- 1 Better Batter gluten free yellow cake mix
- 1 cup water or milk
- 3/4 cup oil
- 3 eggs
For the other layers:
- 2 boxes instant vanilla or cheesecake pudding mix, gluten free
- 4 cups milk, divided evenly
- 16 ounces Cool Whip (large container)
- 2 quarts strawberries, cleaned and sliced
- Bake the yellow cake according to the directions on the box. Use a 9 x 13 pan.
- When the cake is done, use the rounded end of the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes in the cake.
- Whisk one box of instant vanilla or cheesecake pudding into 2 cups of milk.
- Pour the pudding over the cake, making sure to fill in the holes with pudding.
- Let cake cool completely. You can put it in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Once the cake is cooled, put a layer of sliced strawberries on top of the cake.
- Whisk the second box of instant vanilla or cheesecake pudding into the remaining 2 cups of milk.
- Fold half of the Cool Whip into the vanilla or cheesecake pudding.
- Spread the mixture over the strawberries and cake.
- Add another layer of strawberries.
- Spread the remaining Cool whip over the strawberries.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 4 hours or until the pudding is set.
- Be sure to store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Pin this image for a chance to win a free product!