I’m so excited to be a part of The Great Gluten Free CampOut! Every Tuesday I’ll be partnering with several other bloggers to bring you a full range of recipes: Breakfasts, Desserts, Sides and Snacks, and Campfire Classics. Each blogger will be hosting a category. This week Better Batter is hosting Dessert, and of course we just had to make….ACTUAL REAL SMORES!
What’s so special about smores, you ask? Well, when there are no commercially available graham crackers that aren’t…
c) actually cardboard sprinkled with cinnamon
d) actually funky asian rice crackers sprinkled with cinnamon
… and when your kids have never had one because of all the above points, a smore can be pretty darn special.
Now I’m gonna warn you if you don’t use a real graham cracker, the very complicated recipe (below) won’t work. The key to getting a real smore is getting a real graham cracker – well, for us, it’s also getting food color free marshmallows and dairy free chocolate… but that’s another story for another day….. so I present you with a vegan, allergen free Real Graham Cracker Recipe.
If you don’t favor that one, and if you have no problem with nuts or dairy or eggs, you may also use this one, sent to us by one of our readers.
Okay, all ready to go? Before you go camping make up a bunch of the graham crackers, grab a bag of marshmallows, and a bar or ten of chocolate.
If you really don’t know how to make a smore (sigh) I give you this very complex ‘recipe’ –
burn toast a marshmallow
2) Top a 2 inch graham cracker with the marshmallow and a 2 inch square of chocolate
3) Top with another graham cracker.
4) Eat. Repeat Steps one through 4 often.
5) Get tired of waiting for a marshmallow stick and start eating the cookies and chocolate by themselves
6) Run out of chocolate
7) Drop cookies in fire. Fish out. Brush Off. Eat anyway.
8) Find a dirty stick in the woods. Finish toasting entire bag of marshmallows. Catch as many as you can on fire and wave them around so the adults will get scared.
9) Offer to make more ‘for mommy’. Eat them.
10) Bounce off metaphorical walls and refuse to sleep because Mommy Let Me Have Too Much Sugar.
Want more great recipes? Check out my other blogger friends, who are hosting the rest of today’s ‘meals’ :
Breakfast: Almond Blueberry Lemon Pancake, by the Accidental Okie
Snacks and Sides: Macaroni Salad and Stuffed Veggie Packets, by Gluten Free and Loving It
Open Fire: A Mystery Fun Post, By Angela’s Kitchen
Want to Participate in our CampOut?
Post your recipe in your blog and link to it in the comments below. Feel free to use our awesome icon (above) to tag your blog as part of this awesome event. We’ll do a roundup of all the great recipes at the end of the CampOut, so join in any time!!