I still have fresh peaches in my kitchen, so this week’s “Pinspiration” is another fresh peach recipe … peach upside-down coffee cake. This breakfast treat has slices of peach in caramel with a soft, delicious cake. The recipe makes 2 coffee cakes, so you can have one to take to a special gathering and one to keep at home all to yourself! Enjoy! You can find the original “Pin” here and the original recipe here.
For the topping:
- 2-4 sliced peaches (peeled if desired)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
For the coffee cake:
- 2 cups Better Batter gluten free flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (or more, if desired)
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter 2 round cake pans or pie plates.
- Heat butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a medium sauce pan over medium to medium-high heat to make caramel.
- Boil caramel until slightly thickened, stirring frequently.
- Divide caramel evenly between 2 pans.
- Place sliced peaches on top of caramel.
- Mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon) in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Cream butter and brown sugar.
- Add milk, eggs, sour cream, and vanilla to the butter-sugar mixture. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Divide cake batter evenly over peaches and caramel.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden-brown. Cake will spring back when lightly touched. (A toothpick won’t come out clean because of the caramel under the cake.)
- Cool in pan for about 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- Invert onto a serving plate.
- Enjoy warm with a cup of coffee for breakfast or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert!
Pin this image for a chance to win a free product!