Better Batter’s delicious yellow cake mix is the base for this truly decadent dessert. I’ve brightened up this traditional Southern Favorite by adding fresh lemon juice and zest to the gooey filling, for a treat that’s bright, rich, and of course, gluten free.
- 1 Box Better Batter Yellow Cake Mix
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 2 sticks salted butter, melted, divided
- 1 8 ounce bar full fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 medium lemons
- 4 cups Better Batter Corn Free Confectioners’ Sugar, plus more for dusting
- Fresh raspberries and basil for garnish
- Place rack in the center of your oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Combine the cake mix, one stick of the melted butter, and one egg. Stir to mix. The mixture will be crumbly, but will hold together when pressed between your fingers.
- Push the mixture into an ungreased 9 X 13 inch baking pan and set aside.
- To make the filling, place the cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat for 1 minute until it’s slightly fluffy. Add the remaining two eggs. Mix on low while you add the remaining stick of melted butter.
- Zest the lemons and add the zest to the filling mix. Cut the lemons in half and squeeze in the juice, making sure to discard the seeds.
- Keep the mixer on medium low and gradually add the confectioners’ sugar. When the filling is fully combined, pour it over the cake mix. Use the back of a spoon to spread the filling evenly and out to the edges of the pan.
- Bake the cake for 50 minutes. It will be very bubbly and will appear gooey. This is the perfect texture!
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool for one hour.
- Cut into squares and garnish with a dusting of confectioners’ sugar, fresh raspberries, and basil leaves.