Kings-Style Hawaiian Bread

(26 votes, average: 3.42 out of 5)
Loading ... Loading ...

Print this recipe

by

Categories: Specialty Breads

This bread is very sweet and tastes a lot like the Hawaiian bread sold in grocery stores around the United States. Pineapple juice and ginger give it its distinctive taste.

3 cups(12 oz or 340g) better batter gluten free  flour

2 eggs

1 cup pineapple juice

1 cup water

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 teas. ginger

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1 package yeast

4 Tbsp margarine, melted

Instructions
In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the eggs.

Add pineapple juice, water, sugar, ginger, vanilla and melted margarine.

Add flour to egg mixture and stir until well mixed.

Sprinkle in yeast, mixing well.

Beat on high speed for 3 minutes.

Leave batter in bowl and cover with cloth and place in warm place. Let rise 30 minutes. Remove from bowl very gently and place in well greased 2 quart casserole or tube pan. Cover and place in warm place and let rise about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Bake at 350 degrees 25 to 30 minutes.
Let cool completely before removing from pan.

Tags: ,

19 Comments

1. Cynthia 20. Sep, 2009 at 8:22 am #

Could you make rolls out of these instead of a single loaf?

I can’t wait to try it, I miss hawaiian bread!!

• naomi 20. Sep, 2009 at 5:22 pm #

Hi, Cynthia!

You certainly could – rolls typically take 30-35 minutes to bake.

2. raisingallergykids 28. Sep, 2011 at 10:11 pm #

This bread was wonderful!!! I made them as rolls using a scant 1/2 cup and placing in a rectangular pan. I just wanted to mention that I made these with Ener-G egg replacer eggs and a dairy free butter substitute and it turned out perfectly! My kids loved, loved, loved it!
    Thanks for such a great recipe. Now if I can keep it in the house long enough I am going to try making a King’s Hawaiian Coffee Cake. Gonna post the beautiful pictures of the bread on my blog! Thanks for such a great recipe that could be easily made to accommodate all our families allergies.

• naomi 29. Sep, 2011 at 1:57 pm #

so exciting to hear!!! we love this bread

3. twodogpsych 13. Dec, 2011 at 1:42 pm #

I would like to try to make this in a regular loaf pan but I am quite sure this recipe calls for too much dough for a regular loaf. How would I adjust the recipe? Thanks!

• naomi 13. Dec, 2011 at 2:24 pm #

This recipe should fit in one 9×593 inch pan or two 8×482 3/4 inch pans easily and without any adjustment.
      You may alternately choose to divide the recipe in half, as follows:
      1 1/2 cups better batter flour

1 egg

1/2 cup pineapple juice

1/2 cup water

6 TBSP sugar

1/8 teas. ginger

1/4 teaspoon vanilla

1.5 tsp yeast

2 Tbsp margarine, melted

This would make one small 8×4 inch loaf

4. erich 18. May, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

Help!
    I made this recipe using everything listed except that I substituted 2T of ground yellow flax in 1/4C hot water (allowed to cool)for the eggs. Also used Fleishmanns bread machine yeast

Temperature in the kitchen was 78F. first rise 30 minutes,
    I but the dough in to a well greased anf floured 9 inch round cake pan. Second raise 45 minutes.

After the 45 minute second rise the dough had risen to the point that it was actually starting to fall over the edge of the pan, and about 5 inches high.

I decided to bake it anyway, It continued to rise and rise and rise! Most of it spilled over onto the oven liner, what small amount there was left in the pan had completely collapsed.

Was I supposed to use a tube cake pan like an angle food pan or?

By the way your flour is simply put THE BEST!

Erich

• naomi 23. May, 2012 at 12:48 pm #

HI, Erick!

sounds like your issue is the yeast – bread machine yeast is ‘instant’ yeast, meaning it hasn’t been coated first. It will rise in half the time called for in the recipe – so for you this would be 15 minutes for the first rise, and about 23 minutes for the second rise.

I think this will solve your problem!

• erich 23. May, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

Thanks Naomi, I’ll get regular yeast and try again.

5. hsuzanne 02. Feb, 2013 at 7:54 pm #

How would you make a roll …my dough was like a thick cake batter..this is my first ever bread recipe to try..it mixed up beautifully but the texture threw me off…i had to bake almost an hour and then it sunk…..so heartbroken….i am new to the gf world….and feeling a little bummed :(

• Naomi 04. Feb, 2013 at 9:14 pm #

sounds like you didn’t measure enough flour when you measured – did you make sure to use the full 12 ounces of flour? – Did you do both risings? The texture should have been like very thick pancake batter on first mixing and like drop biscuit dough or loose cookie dough by the second rise.

6. jasminedcole 28. Jul, 2013 at 1:32 pm #

Wondering if you used dried ground ginger or fresh?
    I’m guessing dried ground but I suck at backing so I don’t guess.

7. LaurieHanan 08. Sep, 2013 at 10:08 pm #

It had been a long time since I last attempted gluten free baking, because the results were always so disappointing. But today I finally gathered my courage and tried this recipe. I took your advice and weighed the flour, checked my oven temperature, and followed the recipe very precisely. It was fine until I took it out of the oven. As soon as I took it out, it started to fall. Now, two minutes later, it looks like a pancake. Another expensive experiment gone wrong.

• Naomi 09. Sep, 2013 at 11:29 pm #

HI Laurie! how long did the bread rise in your kitchen? How long did your bread bake? Did you let it cool in the pan? Trying to gather information, so I can point you in the right direction.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. What’s for brunch??? Blueberry Banana Bread Pudding « littleleopardbook - 02. Sep, 2012

[...] Gluten Free Option: Substitute the Hawaiian sweet rolls with this recipe for gluten-free Hawaiian bread. Substitute gluten-free flour in the brown sugar [...]

2. Gluten Free Happy Sandwiches! | A Girl Takes on the World - 17. Sep, 2012

[...] taste is just awesome! And don’t worry about the Hawaiian Roll issue, just head on over to Better Batter for her awesome recipe on how to make a GF version of these rolls, and boy did they taste pretty [...]

3. Menu Plan Monday – October 1, 2012 |  Better Batter Gluten Free Flour - 01. Oct, 2012

[...]  Pulled Pork Sandwiches on Kings-style Hawaiian Bread (I am planning on making it into rolls using my hamburger bun rings.  I report back next week how [...]

4. Menu Plan Monday – October 1, 2012 - 01. Oct, 2012

[...] Pork Sandwiches on Kings-style Hawaiian Bread (I am planning on making it into rolls using my hamburger bun rings.  I report back next week how [...]