This is a perfect filling for our Ice Cream Sandwich recipe and can be adapted to make a variety of flavors. The rich, creamy ice cream is more stable than most homemade dairy free ice creams and can be scooped. Remember to freeze it for at least 4 hours for best texture. This recipe requires an ice cream freezer – we recommend a 2 quart (half gallon) sized freezer that has the freezing liquid inside the bowl rather than the traditional rock-salt-and-ice freezers.
1 recipe Egg Yolk Substitute (the equivalent of 8 or nine yolks), completely cooled
4 c of dairy free cream substitute (use your favorite full fat commercial brand or home recipe, We prefer the following:
- Vance’s Darifree made with 1 cup Vance’s powder and 3 cups water
- 4 containers Ritch’s non dairy whipped topping mix or 1 container Ritch’s non dairy coffee creamer, thawed (this item is available in frozen kosher sections)
- 1 can coconut milk, mixed with 2 cups water (will have a slight coconut flavor)
- 4 cups So delicious coconut milk Original (or other whole fat non dairy milk sub) (texture will not be as rich)
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
Whisk all items together until very smooth (you may use a blender if preferred) – this should look like a cooked custard – thin enough to pour and thick enough to create a film on the back of a spoon dipped into it.
Feel free to flavor with additional flavorings/ingredients at this time, following instructions as written.
Freeze according to manufacturers directions – this usually takes 30 minutes - or until soft serve consistency.
Spoon into half gallon container and freeze for at least four hours, or overnight. Best texture is accomplished in a deep freeze.
Best scooping is accomplished by allowing to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes (for normal freezers) or 30 minutes (for deep freeze).
Here are the most popular variations we have found (use your imagination and create more!)
- Chocolate Frozen Custard: Melt 6-8 oz semi-sweet or dark dairy free chocolate chips in a microwave at 1 minute increments, stirring after each session, until smooth. Whisk into Egg Yolk Substitute. Whisk in remaining ingredients until very smooth. If chocolate clumps, pour mixture into a pan and whisk over low heat until chocolate melts completely and mixture is smooth. Cool completely. Freeze as directed. For mocha add 1-2 tsp instant coffee powder.
- Coffee: Reduce vanilla to 1 tsp. Stir one to two tsp instant coffee granules into non dairy milk sub, before whisking into egg yolk replacement mixture. Add more if desired.
- Mint (or Mint Chocolate Chip): Omit vanilla. Stir in one tsp peppermint extract. Freeze as directed. If desired stir in 4 oz vegan mini chocolate chips (we prefer enjoy life brand).
- Cookies and Cream: Stir in up to 1 c of crumbled chocolate wafers or chocolate sandwich cookies from the Better Batter Oreo Clone Recipe.
- Strawberry: Rinse and hull 2 pints of fresh strawberries. Finely chop 1 cup and set aside. Finely chop remaining strawberries and mix into the sugar in the recipe. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes, then blend until completely smooth. Use strawberry puree in place of the sugar in the instructions. Freeze according to directions. Before deep freezing, stir in reserved strawberry chunks.
- Cake Batter: Stir 1/2 to 1 c of Better Batter Yellow Cake mix into custard before freezing (may use more if desired), stir until dissolved.
- Brownie Batter: Stir 1/2 to 1 c of Better Batter Fudge Brownie mix into custard before freezing (may use more if desired), stir until dissolved.