If you are a chocoholic like my daughter, then you are going to absolutely love the Death By Chocolate Poke Cake. It has luscious layer after luscious layer of chocolate. My daughter was even trying to figure out how to increase the chocolate in this dessert by adding chocolate ice cream, chocolate syrup, and even chocolate whipped cream! I don’t know about you, but I do enjoy a chocolate overload every once in a while! Give this recipe a try, and let us know what you think! The original Pin can be found here, and the original recipe can be found here.
For the cake:
- 1 Better Batter gluten free chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup water or milk
- 3/4 cup oil
- 3 eggs
For the other layers:
- 2 boxes instant chocolate pudding mix, gluten free
- 4 cups milk, divided evenly
- 1 jar (about 12.8 ounces) chocolate ice cream topping (I used hot fudge topping.)
- 8 ounces Cool Whip (small container)
- 1 dark chocolate candy bar (about 6-7 ounces), chopped
- Bake the chocolate cake according to the directions on the box. Use a 9 x 13 pan.
- When the cake is done, use the rounded end of the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes in the cake.
- Whisk one box of instant chocolate pudding into 2 cups of milk.
- Pour the pudding over the cake, making sure to fill in the holes with pudding.
- Microwave the chocolate ice cream topping for 45 seconds or until it pours easily.
- Pour the chocolate topping over the pudding covered cake.
- Let cake cool completely. (I cheated and put it in the freezer!)
- Once the cake is cooled, whisk the second box of instant chocolate pudding into the remaining 2 cups of milk.
- Fold the Cool Whip into the chocolate pudding.
- Spread the mixture over the cooled cake.
- Chop the chocolate bar into small pieces, and spread it over the top of the cake.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 4 hours.
- Be sure to store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Pin this image for a chance to win a free product!