I love quiche, but I don’t love the work that goes into it. This is a great, easy recipe to whip together – and it requires no rolling out of dough or other time consuming prep, but still gives you that warm, comforting, satisfying quiche flavor. Because it doesn’t have a crust, it’s also a bit better for you in terms of calories and fat than traditional quiche. Don’t have spring vegetables? You can substitute in equal parts of any other vegetable (or swap the veg out for meat).
- 1 cups peas, chopped asparagus, or other spring vegetable
- 4 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained (or you can use fresh, and saute to wilt it)
- 1/3 cup chopped spring onion
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 ounces) or dairy free alternative
- 1/2 cup Better Batter Gluten Free Pancake and Biscuit mix
- 1 – 1 1/2 cup milk, or dairy free alternative
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
Heat oven to 400ºF. Grease 9-inch pie plate. Over medium high heat, saute spring vegetables and onion about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are almost tender and the onion softens; pour sauteed mixture into prepared pie plate. Top the vegetables with cheddar cheese. In a separate bowl, whisk Better Batter pancake mix, 1 c milk or dairy free alternative and remaining ingredients until blended, the mixture should be slightly thickened but pour easily. Add up to an extra 1/2 c milk, if necessary . Pour over vegetables into pie plate.
Bake pie 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5-15 minutes before slicing and serving.