My family and I really enjoy camping … not rugged, back-packing, primitive camping, but tent and trailer camping where we stay in a campground with facilities. I really enjoy cooking while we’re camping and trying new recipes. On a recent trip, I bought a cast iron dutch oven to use in the campfire and created a new recipe for “Campfire Chicken & Potatoes.” I hope you try the recipe–whether at home or while camping–and enjoy it as much as we did! Happy Camping!
3 large boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 2 pounds), cut in to 1 inch pieces (You can use any cut of chicken you prefer.)
6-8 medium potatoes
1 large onion, chopped
seasonings to taste (salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, or other spices of your choice)
1/4 cup Better Batter gluten free flour
1 quart chicken stock
**These measurements are all approximate. When camping, I don’t always have proper measuring cups and spoons available to use.**
- Prepare a campfire ahead of time so that you have a bed of hot coals on which to place your dutch oven.
- In a dutch oven, cook onions and potatoes, seasoned with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder, in olive oil over medium to high heat. (Use cast iron if you plan to put this in your campfire.)
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- When onions are translucent, add chicken. Cook until no pink is showing (about 5 minutes).
- Meanwhile, mix 1/4 Better Batter gluten free flour with about 1/2 cup chicken stock.
- Add remaining stock to the chicken and potatoes.
- Add flour and stock mixture to dutch oven. Add cumin and any additional desired seasoning.
- Cover with lid and place in campfire. Place 8-10 hot coals on top of the lid of the dutch oven.
- Cook in the campfire for 20 minutes. Check to see that the potatoes and chicken are done and the sauce has proper seasoning. Add seasoning if necessary. Return to the campfire if necessary.
**This dish can be cooked entirely in the campfire, but it will take longer. I start cooking it on the gas stove and then transfer it to the campfire to finish cooking.**
PIn this image for a chance to win a free product!