- 1 1/2 c Better Batter Corn-Free Powdered Sugar, divided
- 1 c gluten free cake flour (whisk together 115 grams Better Batter All-Purpose Flour + 25 grams GF cornstarch)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 c egg whites, at room temperature (this is the whites from approx 12 eggs, or try egg substitute)
- 1/3 c warm water
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- additional 1/4 c powdered sugar for dusting a kitchen towel when rolling up the hot cake
For the cream cheese filling:
- 3/4 c powdered sugar
- 8 oz light cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3/4 c heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
For the fruit topping:
- 1 1/2 c fresh strawberries, diced
- 1 1/2 c fresh blueberries
- 1 1/2 c fresh raspberries
Other materials needed: a clean kitchen hand towel, a second baking sheet, parchment paper, and a stand mixer works really well with this recipe since you have to whip egg whites into a meringue-style cake batter.
Preheat the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper fitting the bottom of the sheet only. Set aside. Unfold the clean kitchen towel and place into the second rimmed baking sheet in one layer. Carefully sprinkle the kitchen towel with 1/4 c powdered sugar and use hands to spread into an even layer all the way to the edges. Set aside.
Sift the flour mixture over the egg whites in the bowl, gently, then fold into the egg white mixture with a spatula. To fold: gently run your spatula along the edge of the bowl, then into the center bottom of the bowl. Lift the spatula to bring egg whites from the bottom of the bowl up and over the flour, then continue to stir the spatula over the the edge of the bowl. Repeat. You should fold the mixture together until all the flour and egg white is evenly incorporated. Work quickly but gently to avoid collapse.
Make the filling. Whip together cream cheese, heavy cream, and vanilla for 3-4 minutes or until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Fill and re-roll. Unroll and remove the kitchen towel once the cake has cooled. Spread half of the cream cheese filling inside the cake. Spread out half of the fresh berries. Re-roll the cake and place seam-side down. Spread remaining cream cheese filling on the outside of the cake roll and top with remaining berries. Slice and serve immediately. Leftover slices are best refrigerated and eaten within one day of serving. Makes 8+ servings.
Adapted from The Recipe Rebel
Pin this recipe for a chance to win free product!