On a recent camping trip, we decide to try something new … bannocks. I vaguely remember reading about bannocks in a book, but I really had no idea what they were until I read the recipe in this article about campfire cooking. I modified the recipe a bit to make it more like dessert. Next time, I think we’ll add a little cinnamon to spice it up a bit. I hope you give these a try and let me know what you think!
2 tablespoons baking powder
½ cup sugar plus additional sugar and/or cinnamon for sprinkling over bannocks
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
3 tablespoons butter plus additional for serving when done
2/3 cup warm water
- Mix all dry ingredients.
- Mix in butter using a fork, pastry cutter, or your hands.
- Add warm water, and mix until you have a soft dough.
- Take a ball of dough and form it around the end of your marshmallow roasting stick. We use metal marshmallow roasters, but a green stick will work, too! Flatter bannocks cook better than thicker, rounder ones.
- Roast over your campfire for about 10 minutes, turning often, until golden brown.
- Enjoy warm with butter and a sprinkle of sugar and/or cinnamon or with honey.
Pin this image for a chance to win a free product!