One of my favorite things to do is cook or bake with my cast iron cookware, so for this week’s “Pinspired” recipe I’ve made a brown sugar cinnamon apple skillet cake. This moist spice cake with sliced apples is amazing! The crust has a lovely texture from being baked in a cast iron skillet. The cinnamon sugar on top of the apples adds a nice flavor to the apples. With fall almost here, there’s no better time to try a new cake to add a little spice to your day. I hope you enjoy this cake as much as I did! The original Pin can be found here.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (4 ounces) Better Batter gluten free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large apples, peeled (if desired) and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar (Mix 1 tablespoon sugar with at least one teaspoon cinnamon.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Butter an 8 or 9 inch cast iron skillet.
- In a medium-large mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar for 2 to 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla extract to butter mixture. Mix well, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and other spices, and salt.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter mixture.
- Mix until combined.
- Pour batter into skillet and smooth top.
- Arrange apple slices as desired on top of cake batter.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the top of the apple slices.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
Pin this image for a chance to win a free product!